Skip to main content

About 3,800 people have died in the Med Sea this year – UNHCR


                                              
The statement begins the day the bodies of 25 individuals are discovered in an inflatable rowboat in the southern Mediterranean.
The number of migrants who have passed away crossing the Mediterranean Sea has actually reached at least 3,800 so far this year, the UN refugee company has stated.
The UNHCR likewise confirmed this makes 2016 the most dangerous year ever for migrants in the Mediterranean.
It warned on Tuesday that this year’s death toll was likely to prosper the 3,771 deaths reported for the whole of in 2015

In a tweet, spokesperson William Spindler stated: “We’re receiving more reports of deaths in the Med.
” We can now confirm that at least 3,800 people have actually died, making 2016 the deadliest ever.”
The UN company said scores of migrants have been drowning weekly as the fragile and frequently overcrowded boats they remain in capsize or sink.
Previously, the bodies of 25 migrant males and females had actually been found in an inflatable dinghy in the southern Mediterranean, a medical charity stated.
Around 107 individuals were rescued from the same raft, stated a spokesperson for Medecins Sans Frontieres.
MSF said its chartered rescue ship, the Bourbon Argos, picked up the survivors from the vessel, 26 nautical miles off the Libyan coast on Tuesday.
Michele Telaro, an MSF field coordinator, stated: “In the bottom of the boat, 25 victims of believed fuel inhalation were hidden underneath a mix of sea water and fuel.
” It took us 3 hours to recover 11 bodies because the mixture of petrol and water is so potent that we just could not run the risk of being in the boat for long periods of time. It was dreadful.”
The victims were said to have likely have died from suffocation, burns or drowning.
The bodies were retrieved from the toxic mix over a period of hours, with the help of a team from the German NGO Sea-Watch.
Mid-rescue, the MSF vessel was called away to a different operation nearby, where teams rescued 139 people aboard another boat.
Around 500 migrants were rescued from overcrowded boats on Tuesday, Italy’s coastguard stated.
Migrants fleeing war and hardship take hazardous trips from Libya to Italy on overcrowded and lightweight boats, intending to make their way to brand-new lives in Europe.
A deal between the EU and Turkey largely closed off the eastern route earlier this year.
According to the UNHCR, smugglers have been altering their techniques, scheduling countless people to make the journey simultaneously.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man Utd complete signing Nigerian star Ighalo on loan until end of season (Sky)

Manchester United have agreed a deal with Shanghai Shenhua to sign striker Odion Ighalo on a six-month loan, with an option to buy. United are now finalising the move to bring in the 30-year-old, who has Premier League experience at Watford between 2014-17. Ighalo is in pre-season training with Shenhua, but the new Chinese Super League season has been delayed due to the escalation of the coronavirus. A medical could be held in China, but United still face a race to complete a move before the 11pm deadline closes. Tottenham also made their own late attempt to secure a loan deal for Ighalo on Deadline Day. United earlier had a £20m bid for Bournemouth striker Joshua King rejected as the club target cover in the absence of the injured Marcus Rashford, but their pursuit of the Norway international appears to have ended. Inter Milan also wanted to sign Ighalo, when their pursuit of Chelsea forward Olivier Giroud failed, but the Nigerian had his heart set on a move back ...

Christiana Milan Shows Off Her Hot Bikini Bod As She Hits Miami Beach (See Photos)

The 33 year old mother of one,Christina Milan put her gorgeous bikini body on display as she hit the beach in Maimi Florida.

Corruption in oil industry exaggerated, says Kachikwu

Minister of State for Petroleum, Dr. Ibe Kachikwu The Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Dr Ibe Kachikwu, said corruption in the oil and gas industry was overblown. Kachikwu said this in Abuja on Thursday at a news briefing shortly after the launch of the new roadmap tagged “The 7 Big Wins”. ADVERTISING inRead  invented by Teads He said, “I think sometimes the corruption indices in Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation are overblown, because sometimes people do not understand the technicalities of what is going on and the short answer is corruption. “I do agree that there were all kinds of sleaze stories in the past, but if you look at the last one year and in the last 13 months, those have dramatically disappeared. “The TSA definitely helped, being able to suck in all our funds in one pond, being able to look at long term focus. “The fact that we have saved over a billion dollars through the Direct Sale Direct Purchase programme, it is someth...